Monday, June 4, 2007

C&O Brooke Ave Yard Progress Report 001

I figured that Mondays may be a good day for me to summarize my progress on my little project. Presently I'm very nearly ready to "put the saw to the wood"; however, there are two things holding me up:

1) Finding quality plywood in Sri Lanka is not at all easy (although it can be found, just takes some searching); and

2) I'm not at all convinced that I've gotten the arrangement of the wharfs quite right, which is certainly something that I need to firm up before making any cuts!

Progress thus far:

I have a "workable" track plan (based on Bernie Kempinski's design published in “Model Railroad Planning 2002”) that accurately represents the track arrangement (if not the precise location of the tracks). I've used #5 frogs (to save space); however, I'm awaiting a drawing that may more accurately describe the actual frogs used.

I have received the May 1999 copy of "Mainline Modeler", which includes several photos and drawings of the C&O Car Float, so I now know how the tracks need to be arranged on both the car floats and the transfer bridge apron. I don't have any drawings (or even good photos) of the bridge apron; however, I do know that it was around 100 feet long, which is probably close enough. I’ve used the drawing to accurately locate the tracks in 3rd PlanIt (3pi, a model railroad CAD program) and am slowly using 3pi to “build up” the car float itself. When completed, I should have some good templates that can be used to model the car float.

I have ordered a copy of "Tidewater Triangle" and am hoping that it will arrive in the next couple of weeks as it seems that there are some additional photos of the yard there.

I'm attempting to locate a copy of a 1923 blueprint of the yard that was mentioned on the Tidewater Rails Yahoo Group earlier -- so far no luck on this one. It supposedly was a copy obtained from the C&O Historical Society. I REALLY want to find this if it exists, as it will help me ensure that I get the wharfs (and tracks to some extent) correctly positioned. On the advice of others from the ChesapeakeOhioRailway Yahoo Group, I have contacted Mac Beard at the C&O Historical Society and he is searching for this item for me. Unfortunately I only have the one reference to it and further attempts to contact the member for more information/clarification have been met with silence; even a reference number would help. Here’s hoping Mac has some good luck.

Finally, I'm still searching for an aerial photo of the yard from between 1955-1970 as that will answer my questions concerning the wharfs as well. Thus far, I haven't been able to find anything with enough resolution to be usable.

Bernie Kempinski forwarded me a copy of a Sandborn map and Valuation Map that are very useful; however, I suspect that they are lacking in accuracy. Specifically, the angle of the Ocean Pier is different in the two drawings; a 1990 satellite photo indicates that the valuation map may be the more accurate.) So barring any further information, I'll likely cut my wharfs to match the valuation map.

I've placed an order for a KATO N2 switcher in C&O colors, which is scheduled for delivery soon (late May). Although Brooke Ave Yard never used one of these (they did use an SW-1 during the early 1970's which is similar), it is reputed to be a good runner, which is important for a switching layout. Perhaps sometime in the future, a good running GE 44-tonner (or even an 0-6-0 switcher with a tender) will become available and I can operate with prototypical motive power as well.

I'm firming up my track requirements: I know that I'll require around 180' of rail (for 90' of track) as well as ties and all the little details that I want to include. I also know that I'll need to construct about 30 turnouts including at least one curved and three wyes. Currently the straight turnouts and wyes will use #5 frogs and the curved turnout is #8; however, as mentioned earlier, this is subject to change pending forthcoming information. I’ve ordered 198 feet of Micro Engineering code 40 weathered rail, which I anticipate will arrive near the end of this month. Once I firm up my other track laying requirements I’ll place an order for it as well. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'll construct the bench work (framed open grid) and table top (plywood). I'll be sure to post a few photos for any who are interested.

All for now (and perhaps more than many of you cared for).
Dave O.

No comments: