Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Thanking Those Who've Helped

Today, I’d like to recognize several individuals who have been instrumental in my efforts to research the Brooke Avenue Yard. Although many people have provided valuable assistance, the efforts of the following individuals really stand out.

Bernie Kempinski. Bernie’s article in “Model Railroad Planning 2002” is what started me off. His wonderful ideas of modeling an entire railroad operation in the corner of a room convinced me that I really could have it all. Prior to reading Bernie’s article, I’d considered several design options either short lines (for realistic operations) or switching layouts (for space considerations). My modeling priorities from the outset have always been prototypical operations with highly detailed scenery. The short lines offered both, however, even the smallest of short lines required more space than I was willing to dedicate to a railroad – especially one that was certainly going to be moved at some point. While switching layouts certainly offered operations in a small foot print, they seemed to lack the sense of “place” that comes from modeling a true prototype; also there was always the problem of “hiding” the rest of the world.

Bernie’s plan addressed both issues quite nicely. Here was a yard based on a prototype which used car floats to interchange traffic with the rest of the world – the rest of the world was no longer “hidden” it was just across the river! In N scale, Bernie’s track plan occupies about 6’x 8’ of area in a corner and includes all the tracks with very little compression – perfect from a fidelity point of view and certainly something that could be moved in the future.

When I started searching the Internet for information about this yard and its operations, I found that there was very little available. So I joined the ChesepeakeOhioRailway Yahoo Group, introduced myself and requested assistance from any who may know something about the Brooke Avenue Yard. Who should be the first to respond? Bernie K.! Bernie forwarded me several photos and drawings which he had used in his research for the article and now the spark had developed into a flame.

As I continued to navigate through the various links in the Internet, Bernie’s name appeared quite often – he has been very busy and is quite an accomplished model railroader and author. Bernie’s interests have drifted from the C&O and now he is modeling the D&RGW’s Tennessee Pass in N scale, however, he is still a fount of knowledge when it comes to the C&O (and its small yard located in Norfolk, Virginia).

Russell Underwood. Russell lives in the Tidewater area and his photographs of railroads are well known. Sadly my little yard predates Russell’s photographs; however, Russell does have access to several post cards showing the yard and it’s environ. Russell still sends me interesting scans of these cards when he comes across them because he “knows that I can use them.” Through these cards, I have a much better idea of what this yard “looked” like and the colors of the various structures. Thanks Russell.

Mac Beard. Mac works at the C&O Historical Society and a nicer man you’re not likely to meet. Several folks from various groups suggested that I take my requests for research to Mac. Finally, after exhausting all other readily available sources, I contacted Mac via eMail. I was searching for a 1923 “blueprint” of the yard that was mentioned by a member of the Tidewater Rails Yahoo Group and supposedly available from the COHS. I could not locate this drawing in the COHS database and further attempts at communication with the original poster went unanswered. So I passed on my request to Mac. Mac responded the following day that he was unable to locate the 1923 blueprint, however, he had found 4 other drawings from 1898, 1904 and 1918 that he was willing to post as soon as I supplied a shipping address. I explained that I desired to pay by check vice a credit card (for security reasons in Sri Lanka), he said no problem, he would still post the drawings and I could pay for them after reviewing them! Wow! From his description of their content, I certainly don’t need to review them so I posted payment, however Mac’s trusting generosity will get the drawings in my hand about 20 days sooner than expected (10-14 days for my check to arrive in the states via the mail and another 7-10 day for the check to clear is my normal experience when dealing with others). Thanks Mac, hope that no one ever takes advantage of your generosity.

Again, there have been many others who have taken the time to answer my questions or point me in the right direction to find them. Hopefully as my research progresses I’ll meet many more and perhaps be able to do the same for others. To all of those who have helped me or others such as me I’d like to extend a big thank-you! It is the generosity of those who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with others that make model railroading such a wonderful hobby.

All for now,
Dave O.

No comments: