Monday, June 25, 2007

Internet Research

I am currently in the process of researching my prototype (the C&O’s Brooke Avenue Yard in Norfolk, Virginia). As I live in Sri Lanka and am modeling a railroad in Norfolk, the Internet is invaluable to me. I have learned several things during the course of the past couple months that may help you as well.

1. Depending on your prototype, you may discover a wealth of information via a simple Google search. The D&RGW comes to mind, if you’re researching this prototype then you will be literally overwhelmed with the amount of material available. (I’ve read somewhere that every mile of the D&RGW has been photographed from both directions – it’s probably not too great an exaggeration.)

I am currently modeling a small, remote yard of the C&O in Norfolk, VA. When I went online to find more information about this yard, I was surprised at the LACK of information, there was hardly anything available at all (sounds like you may be in a similar situation), so I’ve discovered other ways:

2. Joining a Yahoo Group dedicated to your prototype and/or geographic area is an excellent place to start. The nice thing about the Groups is you will meet many folks who are willing to share their information (on a given topic) with you. Simply join the group, introduce yourself and what you are trying to do and those who can help will eagerly do so. This has by far been the most productive and rewarding method of Internet research fo me.

I’m currently a member of:

ChesapeakeOhioRailway: a group dedicated to the entire C&O;
Tidewater_Rails: a group dedicated to railroads in the eastern Virginia (tidewater) region;
CON: a group dedicated to modeling the C&O in N scale;
N scale: a group dedicated to general modeling in N scale;
as well as several other groups devoted to general model railroading.

The first two groups on my list have proven invaluable for introducing me to some folks who know something about my prototype. The second two groups are useful for finding out what equipment is available in my particular modeling scale. The other groups are invaluable for information pertaining to the design, construction and operation of a model railroad.

3. Join a Historical Society (HS) of your prototype (or region if your concentrating on a small area) if available. If there are records available to aid in your research, the HS is certainly the first place to look. Many HS have web pages that you can view and get an idea of what is available. Most HS have staffs (often volunteers) that are willing to help answer your questions even if you are not a member. Joining the HS will help ensure that the HS has funding to complete its mission and continue to provide assistance to you and others as well as it often gets you a discount on any purchases (which can more than off-set the cost of joining). Many have publications/periodicals that you will also likely find enjoyable.

Once you’ve located a promising HS, send them an email, introducing yourself and describing your project; you will likely get a response pointing you in the correct direction. I joined the C&O HS and have been working with Mac Beard (a nicer man you’re not likely to ever meet). He has provided invaluable assistance to me, even going so far as shipping me 4 drawings of the Brooke Ave Yard, before receiving my payment. (I’m anxiously awaiting their arrival to finalize my track plan.)

4. Search for and purchase books that may help you in your research. There are many railroad books available, far more than I’d ever care to search through. However, if you ask for recommendations from the groups and/or historical society, you will likely get a very nice short list of the essentials, which you will likely want to include in your library for easy/ready reference.

I was introduced to a book titled “Tidewater Triangle” by Robert J. Yanosey through the Tidewater_Rails group. I located a second hand copy (it’s out of print) via Amazon.com and it was in my lap about two weeks later. What a great book. Only two pages devoted to Brooke Ave Yard, however the photos and captions of all the other railroads that operated in southeastern Virginia during 1969/70 have provided immense enjoyment and I’ve learned a lot about railroading in this region. Also it provided me my first “color” glimpse of this yard.

5. The same for magazine articles. If you become aware of an article, it is usually quite easy to check for back issues via the internet and order them if available.

I was directed to the May 1999 issue of Mainline Modeler as it had several drawings and photos of the car floats used by the C&O to transfer freight cars (and switchers) between the main Terminal at Newport News, and the small yard at Norfolk. I ordered a copy of the magazine ($2.50 for the back issue + $3.50 international s/h); I was surprised when the issue arrived showing a $4.00 cover price and $6.00 in postage – essentially the company sent me the issue for the cost of postage. (A mistake I’m sure and I do feel some guilt – I promise to address this issue the next time I order a back issue from them.)

6. Libraries and Government Records/Archives. I’ve had limited success here; many of the collections are not digitally available making research via the Internet marginal at best. However, I have had the best success in the areas of images (photographs and maps). You need to search using different combinations of words, essentially trying to guess one of the “key words” used to describe the image. Proper names (i.e., the name of a town or railroad) seem to work the best. If something turns up, be sure to read the captions for possible clues as to other search criteria.

While looking through the records at the Virginia Library archives, I note that one photo indicated that the yard was called “Southgate Terminal” vice “Brooke Avenue”. A search on “southgate terminal” produced about a dozen more images. Similarly, it was also referred to as “Freemason Harbor”. Also, many of these archival search engines treat “C&O” differently than “C & O” (i.e., exact word search where even the “spaces” count), you must search on both to get all the results, also spelling out “Chesapeake” etc. is often worthwhile in these searches.

7. Searching for images on the Internet is frequently rewarding; however, be prepared for some inappropriate material (i.e., best to do in the privacy of your own home as you never know what will pop up on your screen).

I’ve located several good aerial photos and older maps with this type of search.

8. Lastly, GoogleEarth (and other similar things) is a wonderful (free) tool for viewing the terrain of your prototype (as it appears today, however, geological features usually don’t change that much).

It is still possible to see the location of the old piers and wharfs although all the yard buildings have either been demolished or turned into high class condos.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dave O.

No comments: